TGA measures amount and rate of a material's weight change as a function of temperature or time in a controlled atmosphere.
Temperature range starts from ambient to 1200°C.
Technique can characterize materials that exhibit weight loss/gain due to decomposition, oxidation, or dehydration.
- thermal stability of materials
- oxidative stability of materials
- composition of multi-component systems
- estimated lifetime of product
- decomposition kinetics of materials
- effect of reactive/corrosive atmospheres on materials
- moisture and volatiles content of materials